Tuesday 12 February 2013

Cinema Marathon: Two For One :)

SO, I'm really sorry I didn't write anything last week, but it was the day before my birthday (Yay, I'm 17 now!!) and I had a f*ck load of planning to do, as well as a bit (OK, I admit it... a LOT) of procrastination to do. I was re-watching Sex And The City as my fill in series and I got quite attached as you might have noticed.
Well to make up for that I went and did a slightly illegal cinema marathon.. O:) With that I mean pay for one film watch it and then just slip into another showing... Hehe, it worked without complications and so it is that I watched The Impossible and then Warm Bodies in one sitting...
Imma start with The Impossible. For a film, which's trailer made me have tears in my eyes it wasn't really sad enough. I mean congrats to the people who made the trailer, you did an absolutely amazing job advertising this film, but I must say that I felt a teeny tiny bit disappointed afterwards. The film relies on the true story of the Belón family. The family is on holiday in Thailand when the massive wave hits them and they get separated. The mother and the eldest son stay together and the father is left with the two youngest sons. The film is about their surviving the tsunami and then their search to find each other amongst the hundreds of thousands of victims.
In the survival part of the film the story follows the mother, Maria, and Lucas, and later the young boy they find and rescue called Daniel. The mother has a gaping holes in her chest and thigh, which where so graphically shown I just had a wave of nausea come over me just thinking about it. It was a LOT more 'gory' than I thought it would be. I really liked Lucas, the actor Tom Holland did an amazing job at portraying him and has already won some awards for his performance. Lucas is the thirteen year old son of the family who now has to step up and take care of his terribly injured mother and the baby they saved. Tom acts believably the conflict of responsibility and youth, and managed to portray a character that is significantly younger than himself (he's 16). He takes responsibility of his family and saves his mother by urging her on and not telling her how badly she is injured; and later helps unite families that are searching for lost members.
Maria and Lucas Bennett
One of the best scenes of the film is when he brings a Swedish man to his son. It is such a sweet scene, and it brought tears to my eyes, especially as Lucas himself still thought that his father and his two younger brothers might be dead. You can see the hopefulness but also the sadness in him at the same time.
In the end after minutes of running past each other and the viewer wanting to scream out of frustration Lucas finds first his younger brothers and then his father, and at that point a tear might have rolled down my cheek. The mother is flown to Singapore to be operated and all ends well, but it is clear that many families did not have the fortune of such a happy ending and the viewer finally gets, at least a little, the understanding of what it must have been like to have survived.
After this film I had about forty minutes of waiting, but I was with my friends and I was quite happy that I actually had time to process the whole thing. One of the funniest things was that we met a couple from our year that everyone knew was on the verge of dating so it was fun for us, and probably quite awkward for them. Sorry for that guys! Well after those forty minutes I was pretty much starving so we went to buy popcorn and then snuck into the next showing: Warm Bodies with Nicholas Hoult (About A Boy, Skins) and Teresa Palmer (I Am Number Four). I just quickly have to say that I have a massive girl crush on her, I think she is reeeallly pretty, and so cool 'cos she always has these gun bearing bad ass chick roles.
Nicholas Hoult as R
Well the story is pretty much about a Zombie, R, who falls in love with on of the few alive people, Julie, then saves her from his fellow zombies, who want to eat her brains, and him slowly becoming more alive again through this human contact. The end is a battle between the zombies and alive people, who form an alliance, and the zombies who are already past saving, Bonies. And guess who wins? Happy ever after and all that, but really its a sweet film, and much less cliché than I thought it would be. In reality it's quite a comedy which really comes as a surprise to the viewer, or at least to me.. The whole film is done with a voice over of what R thinks, as zombies are only able to talk very limitedly due to their slowly exhuming brain capacity, this is a very good thing, and makes it even more funny. R thinks things like ''don't be creepy, don't be creepy... oh sh*t!'' which makes him very relatable. Which girl has not thought ''don't act stupid, don't be a clutz!'' when she's around her crush and I guess boys aren't that different.. So it's refreshing that this was included in the film making it a little more realistic, even though it's still totally unrealistic.
And it's very well acted on both accounts. Nicholas does a really good job of playing a character that is trapped within his own dead body, and Teresa is really good at being creeped out but brave at the same time. I still have to give Nicholas the most credit, he plays the character with so much dedication and so much humour and he is a really good actor, I could have never done an entire zombie acting scene with out laughing, because it is so delightfully awkward.
Awkward Moment
Julie and R
Julie's dad is the leader of the alive people and basically very close minded and hateful towards the zombies, he's played by John Malkovich (honestly, he always used to scare me a little bit because he looks a little bit crazy!) but yeah he also does an amazing job, what do you expect!? And finally the zombies and the alive people unite after R proves that his heart has started to beat again, through bleeding when he's shot; and the world is saved.
Mhhhhmm, so proud I've finally gotten this done, thank you anyone that actually still reads this stuff! I'll try to post more regularly again!! Byeeeeee!

Ma Musique: (For Engl. Lit. I have to research Russian music and ballet, so I thought I'd share my favs!)
The Nutcracker: Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy - Piotr Tchaikovsky (Ballet)
The Nutcracker: Waltz Of The Flowers - Piotr Tchaikovsky (Ballet)
Swan Lake: The Dances Of The Swans - Piotr Tchaikovsky (Ballet)
Swan Lake: Act 1, No. 2 Valse - Piotr Tchaikovsky (Music)
Swan Lake: Act 2. Scene - Piotr Tchaikovsky (Music, so sorry I couldn't find a clip this is probably my favourite music of them all!)


No comments:

Post a Comment