Friday 5 October 2012

''History Is Just One F*cking Thing After Another''

Hey guyysss! I know I'm blogging early today, but, this is because I'm taking a trip to Spaaaaain next week. I am doing the Gold Premio, or Duke of Edinburgh Award or whatever you wanna call it. It's a six day ''walk'' in the mountains... Oh joy. Well I've already packed my bag, and bought special thermal clothes and all that sh*t, and we'll see. People say that it's so exhausting that they started crying, so I'm relatively nervous! But they also said it's one of the best experiences of your life; so I hope it's worth the coldness, tears and pain.
One thing that I'm really nervous about though is that Imma miss like six days of school and theres gonna be a LOT of stuff I'll havta do afterwards -.- Nooooo so much worrrrrkkkk! Art and Maths and Chem and German (actually that one's not rlly hard for me :D) and History and English... :'(
Oh, speaking of English, we are reading this amazing play called The History Boys by Alan Bennett. It's basicly about a bunch of boys in an all boys school studying History and trying to get into Oxbridge. There's Dakin (Dominic Cooper) the attractive, overly selfconfident guy, who thinks that everyone should love him, Posner, the youngest, who just discovered that he's gay, and, in love with Dakin, Scripps who is a really religious guy and Dakin's best friend, and my favourite character, and five other boys and a bunch of teachers.
It's a really modern play that includes a lot of swearing and pretty interesting themes... It starts with a French lesson where they pretend to be in a brothel and Dakin plays the client and Timms (James Gordon) the prostitute and Dakin actually strips down to his underwear and Timms comments ''aahh, quelles belles jambes''.. (excuse my bad French!) That made me laugh so much!!  And then the headmaster enters and they have to pretend to reinact a world war two hospital with shell shocked soldiers :D..
Then there's a new History teacher who, Dakin starts to like, even though he is heterosexual, and gets all annoyed when said teacher completely ignores him. One of the other teachers ''thouches'' the boys, and other topics are also discussed, like the unimportance of woman in history..
The play is very educative and the characters are presented as really likable and you are ver able to connect with them emotionally. In the end of the book, all of the boys do get into Oxford and Hector, their touchy General Studies teacher, dies. I felt really sad about this and even got a little chocked up at the last few pages where the boys honour their favourite teacher and it is said what becomes of them. My favourite quote was from Hector, they are the closing words of the play, after he has already died and still make me sad when I read them: ''Pass the parcel. That's sometimes all you can do. Take it, feel it and pass it on. Not for me, not for you, but for someone, somewhere, one day. Pass it on, boys. That's the game I want you to learn. Pass it on.'' He may have done bad things sometimes but he was a very good teacher.
The posts title is a quote if one of the boys who is concidered as a bit stupid, answering the question of 'What is History?' in his mock entrance interview for Oxford (he does get in!).
This really is a good play and they made a film of it, with some brilliant actors, which I also love. The duality of human nature, is portrayed very well through the character of Hector whom you can't really help but like. Scripps I said was my favourite character through the way his religiousness and his swearing contrast and make him seem like he is a really genuine person. Dakin and Posner make some brilliant comedy and the play/film is full of litearture and actually does tach the reader some English and some History.
Hector says something else which is really true, he sums up a sensation I could completely relate to. ''The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - that you'd thought special, particular to you. And here it is, set down by someone else, a person you've never met, maybe even someone long dead. And it's as if a hand has come out, and taken yours.''
Something, one of my friends showed me the other day is the USA's interpretation of the BBC's Sherlock. It is called Elementary and stars Jonny Lee Miller as Sherlock Holmes and Lucy Liu as Joan Holmes... Ohhh, they gender swapped Watson... This will be interesting. It does make the series seem more modern in a way, also it enables people to speculate about the possibility of a relationship between the two. Ohmogod, I would hate that to happen, it would ruin their relationship forever in my eyes.. OR will they make Sherlock gay, in order to modernize the show even more?! So many possibilitiess! The story lines of the episodes - so far only two - do not relate to the original Sherlock series which I don't really mind.
Now, it is obviously IMPOSSIBLE for me not to judge Elementary and Sherlock against eachother, as they are basicly the same thing. I must say there is nothing that can touch on the geniusity of Steven Moffat and his sarcastic humor so there is no way that anything can ever be BETTER than Sherlock. I still really like the other show too, I just like the crime solving brilliancy of any Holmes, even if no one can ever replace Benedict Cumberbatch's narcisistic, toddlerlike Sherlock.
I will just let them exist paralelly and not juxtapose them so that I can enjoy them both!!!
The latest episode of glee was also awakening the feels!!! I mean how can alllllll the couples on the program break up!??? Howww, you cruel, cruel people. The only hope I have left is for Jake and Marley, pleaaaaase get together!! And one thing that was especially bad is that, it was said that this episode would be the one in which my baby bwoi Blake is introduced.... The only new character what the guy which whom Blake had cheated on Kurt... No. Mwaaaaw, why does he have to be a mean person? Actually, there's still hope. Maybe, he didn't know anything about the fact that Blaine had a boyfriend. Maybe. Oh and, Mr Schu also had a fight with Emma.. Those are two which HAVE to stay together.. Please..? You leave me with no hope that love sometimes actually works :'( Well, at least the episode had some nice songs.. The Scientist by Coldplay what the most tearjerking one of all.. 
Ok, I've got to do some more packingg!!! See ya in a weeeekkkk!

Listen to these while I'm gone!

Glee:
Don't Speak - Glee Cast
The Scientist - Glee Cast
Mine - Glee Cast

Just awsome songs:
Say Nothing - Example (Hardwell and Dannic Remix)
What You Came For - Mosca





Not Giving In - Rudimental ft. Alex Clare, John Newman
Reaching Out - Nero

No comments:

Post a Comment